Ever thought of eating veggies from your own garden?! You don’t need big spacious gardens to grow them or buy some special planters. Rather healthy veggies can be grown in your designer planters that you already own. If you think that the use of designer flower pots is limited to grow flowers only then you are wrong as they can be equally used to grow veggies.
Not every vegetable can be grown in the garden but here is a list of the vegetables that can be grown best in the planters.
- Bush tomatoes
- Summer squash
- Asian greens
- Pole beans
- Lastly don't forget the herbs!
Things required for planting veggies
Here’s a list of things required to grow edible plants in your home garden:
- Selecting the right container – the depth of the container matters the most
- Placement of the planters – minimum six hours of sunlight is necessary for a healthy growth
- Quality of soil – do not use soil from your garden rather buy soil specially processed for vegetable planters
- Water supply – for a healthy growth vegetable require consistent supply of water
- Fertilizers – organic fertilizers should be used to help the vegetable grow in the containers, they are nutrients for your plants
- Proper take care of the hygiene – to avoid any plant diseases or buildup of pests keep the area clean and healthy
All the requirements are easy to understand but something important that you should keep in mind is the right planting depth. So before choosing one you should check below that what should be the size of your container.
Different veggies require different soil depths for a healthy growth. For every vegetable mentioned below is the minimum soil depth required. If you wish to get away with less depth soil then you must use self-watering planters. The sizes mentioned below are not unique but size regular designer planters that you easily get in the markets.
Take a look at the list below to check what is the minimum depth you require to grow vegetable in your designer planters.
Chives, lettuce, radishes, other salad greens, basil and coriander
Bush beans, garlic, kohlrabi, onions, Asian greens, peas, mint and thyme
Pole beans, carrots, chard, cucumber, eggplant, fennel, leeks, peppers, spinach, parsley and rosemary
Beets, broccoli, okra, potatoes, sweet corn, summer squash, dill and lemongrass
With plethora of designer flower pots and plants, you can buy them to grow your veggies and eat healthy stuff.